Monday, November 19, 2007

Maui interview with Mrs. Satomi Seki



In September I visited Hawaii to interview Mrs. Satomi Seki, 96 years old with cancer, wife of the late Reverend Hozen Seki, founder of the New York Buddhist Church in 1938. Mrs. Seki is the last surviving member of the Japanese issei (first generation) Jodo Shinshu missionaries in the United States. I missed the opportunity to interview my own grandparents before they passed, so this would be my last chance to document a part of history.

This opportunity arose because I had written Mrs. Seki's son Hoken over the summer asking for his assistance on my Buddhism in America documentary project.

Here's an excerpt from my letter:

"Last fall, after my mother visited your mother in Hawaii (thank you for making this possible), I saw Hoshin [Hoken's younger brother] at the New York Buddhist Church and we discussed some of the black and white photos hanging in his office and the church library: pictures of your mother and father, the church, visiting reverends. Hoshin told me there are many more photos documenting the history of the NY Buddhist Church."

"It suddenly hit me: I need to document the Japanese immigration to America and tell the story of our own families: the Sekis, Sasakis (my grandmother’s family), and Sakows, as Jodo Shinshu missionaries. I need to interview your mother in Hawaii to tell the story of Reverend Seki (both my grandparents have passed as well as the Sasaki elders), as well as visit our family temples and Jodo Shinshu headquarters in Japan to document our roots. I will interview Japanese reverends, BCA representatives, and American congregation members, both Buddhist born and converts. And in so doing, I will share our history and legacy with future generations."

"I am writing to kindly ask for your assistance."

Hoken wrote back and offered me a plane ticket.

I flew to Maui, Hawaii on a Thursday from Newark, NJ, with a stopover in San Francisco. On my flight I read "A Spark of Dharma," a biography on Reverend Seki and made a list of questions. The interview with Mrs. Seki took place Friday morning. I recorded 90 minutes of recollections, some quite detailed, others hazy, but the trip was definitely worthwhile. I had accomplished what I set out to do: document a living testimonial to one of the pioneer Jodo Shinshu missionaries.

I also had the opportunity to interview Reverend Soga of the Maui Betsuin.

No comments: